In recent studies on eye diseases, scientists have found that people who eat a diet heavy with Mediterranean foods can be related to increased cognitive function. These diets are high in vegetables, whole grains, fish and olive oil. Research has also shown that consumption of these foods play a role in slowing cognitive decline.
Olive Oil Benefits For Seniors
Some research on the Mediterranean diet suggested red wine was a major contributor to the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet because it contains a compound called resveratrol, which is known to increase lifespan and prevent aging-related diseases. However, other studies suggest that it is the fat in olive oil, another component of the Mediterranean diet, that is actually activating this pathway. Olive oil has many health benefits. Below are listed a few.
- High in monounsaturated fats
- High in antioxidants
- Strong anti-inflammatory properties
- Might prevent strokes
- Protective against heart disease
- May reduce risk of type 2 diabetes
Mediterranean Food Benefits For Seniors
The Mediterranean diet is simple, but full of flavor. Listed are some of the foods that would be included in this diet. Under the list, you can find several links for preparing Mediterranean food.
- Vegetables: Tomatoes, broccoli, kale, spinach, onions, cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, strawberries, grapes, dates, figs, melons, peaches, etc.
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Legumes: Beans, peas, lentils, pulses, peanuts, chickpeas, etc.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, yams, etc.
- Whole grains: Whole oats, brown rice, rye, barley, corn, buckwheat, whole wheat, whole-grain bread and pasta.
- Fish and seafood: Salmon, sardines, trout, tuna, mackerel, shrimp, oysters, clams, crab, mussels, etc.
- Poultry: Chicken, duck, turkey, etc.
- Eggs: Chicken, quail and duck eggs.
- Dairy: Cheese, yogurt, Greek yogurt, etc.
- Herbs and spices: Garlic, basil, mint, rosemary, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, etc.
- Healthy Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, olives, avocados and avocado oil.
As you can see, the Mediterranean diet offers a variety of food choices. Orchard at Brookhaven is proud to offer many of these choices to our residents. If you would like more information about our dining choices and experience, please contact us and speak with someone.