As we age, we will endure many physical changes. Our immune system is one of those things. With respect to recent world events related to this topic, it is important to remain focused on maintaining strong immune systems. There are several practices that you can take on to make sure you are staying healthy and happy.
10 Tips For Seniors To Build Immunity
- Wash your hands– any time you are potentially in high contact with germs, it is best practice to wash your hands.
- Get the flu shot– this vaccine could help your system fight off a deadly virus and can help your body develop bacteria that will keep you healthy.
- Eat well balanced meals– make sure you eat all your fruits and veggies! It is important to ensure that each meal is made with plenty of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to help your body fight off disease.
- Stay active– Even if you are just walking around the neighborhood, do something active every day.
- Reduce your stress– try to limit yourself from being exposed to things that make you worry. Keep your thoughts on things you can control.
- Connect with others– Spend time socializing and talking to people you know or love.
- Get good rest– Not enough sleep could mean that your body is underprepared for fighting off anything that may make you sick. Naps are OK!!
- Stay hydrated– Water is a great way to keep your system clean and running well.
- Lessen your intake of alcohol– Too much drinking could make you vulnerable to infection in your body.
- Quit smoking– Not only does smoking hinder your ability to fight off known viruses, but you also could become more susceptible to other health issues.
These 10 habits can really help you to stay healthy. There are many steps you can take to make sure your body is in tip top shape. At Orchard at Athens, our residents’ health is one of our top priorities. We pride ourselves in being able to provide an environment that fosters a healthy mind, body and spirit. If you would like more information on the programs we have to offer, please visit contact us today.