Importance Of Cognitive Stimulation With Age
Dementia is one of the major causes of disability and dependency among older people worldwide. As the disease progresses, seniors become less and less independent. Because caregivers are often family members, this can also cause strain on the family unit. Brain activity and engagement is one of the best ways to fight off decline as a result of dementia.
Importance of Cognitive Stimulation With Age
Keeping the brain active can yield great results. Some ways that this helps individuals with dementia are:
- Lessen any anxiety and irritability that Alzheimer’s may bring
- Foster emotional connections with others
- Encourage self-expression
- Make people with Alzheimer’s feel more engaged
- Stir memories
Ways to Stay Cognitively Active
Some ways to keep a person’s mind active is by engaging in simple activities. We’ve provided some activity ideas below and also discuss these in the below video.
- Bake or cook simple recipes together.
- Clean around the house. Sweep the patio, fold towels, clean down the table, or try other household tasks so the person can feel a sense of accomplishment.
- Organize household or office items.
- Take up arts and crafts, such as painting or knitting. Keep tools and patterns simple.
- Look at books the person used to enjoy.
- Read the newspaper.
- Sing songs or play music.
- Tend the garden or visit a botanical garden.
- Work on puzzles.
- Watch old family videos.
These types of simulations are enjoyable for the senior as well as the caregiver. It gives them a time to bond while being able to do something good for the brain.
Orchard at Athens is dedicated to keeping brains healthy. We offer daily activities that foster the use of the mind to keep our residents thinking. Please contact us to schedule a tour and learn more about our community.