When looking at the calendar for events and engagement at an assisted living community, one hopes to see a day filled with meaning. This means more than just activities to keep people occupied but rather activities and opportunities to stay engaged in their lives. Orchard at Athens is a senior living community in Athens Georgia that understands this importance. Our engagement model is organized and designed to meet the needs of our residents in their different Groves, and are based on abilities and interests of the people who live here.
Tips For Reviewing Engagement Programs At Senior Living Communities
When reviewing an engagement calendar, look for the following types of opportunities:
- Ways to give back to the community
- Opportunities to be involved in activities that are related to past roles and occupations
- Activities that have specific outcomes such as building, cooking or creating a product
- Opportunities to feel important and respected
- Educational opportunities
- Fulfill a sense of meaning and purpose
Health and Wellness:
- Aerobic exercises such as walking etc.
- A variety of exercise options catering to people with different preferences and interests
- Tai Chi
Rest and restoration:
- Ways to restore energy throughout the day
- Traditional “down time” such as a nap
- Sitting on the porch
- Listening to relaxing music
- Aroma therapy
Leisure and fun:
- Ways of being engaged in activities that provide fun, creativity and laughter. This can be different for different people and so there needs to be a variety of options.
- Group social activities
Tips For Reviewing The Engagement Calendar
Another way to look at engagement is to see whether the options for filling the day with meaning and joy meet three other categories which include mind, body and spirit. An engagement calendar should be coordinated and designed to provide holistic wellbeing for each person who lives in the community.
When looking at potential senior living communities in Athens, take time to review the calendar of events. Is there something that will interest you or your loved one? Will the staff work with you and your loved one to find the right flow of day? When looking at the calendar for Orchard at Athens, you will find that the different options have an image next to the activity, making it easy to get an idea of how our staff keep the day balanced for our residents.
Best Engagement Programs For Dementia
When someone is living with dementia, it is even more important for the staff to get to know this person and find ways to support them in ways that make sense to them. It is also important for the staff to understand how each person likes to spend their days and provide the opportunities needed to make their days have meaning and joy. Make sure to take extra care and ask questions around the senior living communities approach to dementia care if you’re searching for a place for a loved one with dementia.