There are many options when looking for senior living in Atlanta. Before you start to look at all the options, take an inventory of the reasons why you started looking in the first place. This will help narrow your focus and provide you a list of things that you need or are looking for. For example, if you come from a single family home, a large apartment style community may not be the best setting. Orchard at Brookhaven is a senior living facility in Atlanta designed to provide smaller neighborhoods, which we call groves, to create a smaller community feel.
There are a variety of reasons why someone looks for senior living, below are some to consider.
If you are looking for social support, look for a community that provides a variety of ways to become and stay engaged in both the local and living community. Here are some things to consider when searching for a community:
- Does the senior living community provide transportation to community events and local gatherings?
- Is the community located in an area that has community events such as a theatre, shopping, concert hall, museums, community center, etc…
- Does the community bring in entertainment and professionals from the local community?
- Does the community provide opportunities for the residents to provide outreach for local charities?
- Does it provide a variety of options to meet and socialize with other residents? These options should be more than leisure activities, they also need to include, education, support, social, cultural, and opportunities for the residents to create groups and clubs themselves.
If you are looking for support physically, look for a community that has staff that specialize in rehabilitation, Physical Therapy and exercise as well as an adaptive environment that promotes as much independence as possible. Additionally, there needs to be opportunities for exercise indoors and out as well as a multiple modalities for staying active.
Daily Living Support
If you are looking for support with daily living, ask about the ratio of staff to residents and the level of training and continuing education that they receive. Find out if they have 24 hour nursing services, and a medical director? Ask if one can age in place at the community. Aging in place means that the community has the capability to support someone through end of life. This will ensure that once you find a community that suits your needs, you will be able to continue to live there and your life will not become disrupted if your health status changes.
What kind of amenities are important to you in senior living? Many communities have the following amenities:
- Fine Dining
- Exercise rooms
- Therapy services
Looking for senior living options can be over whelming and many of the communities have similar services and options. Before you begin, take a moment to make a list of the reasons why you are considering moving to a new community and a list of the most important things for you to have in this new community. Orchard at Brookhaven has staff that can help support you when looking for the right senior living community in Atlanta.