In the last few months (actually the last year), many people have been forced to spend more time at home. While this is not all bad, it can become mundane or boring. Even though you or a loved one may be stuck at home, there are still plenty of things to do to keep your mind and body moving. This article will outline some activities and games for seniors that are helpful and fun to do at home.
At Home Games For Seniors
- Spelling Tray: Use a metal tray and spell out words with magnetic letters.
- Matching: Matching or memory games are a great way to stimulate and work on short term memory.
- Computer Games: Finding computer games or apps that encourage brain training is convenient for everyone. They are a great way to exercise those mental muscles.
- Trivia games: Trivia games and other forms of board games helped stave off mental decline by promoting activity changes in the temporal and hippocampus regions of the brain
Exercise and Outdoor Activities For Seniors
- Go for a walk
- Ride a bike
- Work in the garden
- Wash the car
- Swim in the pool
- Practice Tai Chi
- Practice Yoga
Music & Art Ideas For Seniors
- Keep a journal
- Work on crafts
- Use playdough to create “sculptures”
- Create a memory box
- String beads for jewelry
- Paint by numbers
- Read a book or listen to a book
Whatever you might decide to do, there IS plenty to do! Being stuck at home does not have to be boring and sedentary. There are plenty of ways to get creative and moving! Hopefully you will discover what works best for you.