As you and your loved one begin to navigate caregiving for someone with dementia, it may become very overwhelming. One person who can help with this process is a Geriatric Care Manager. This individual is typically a medical professional or social worker who assists with navigating the many levels of care that are needed for someone with dementia.
Geriatric Care Manager & Services Offered
There are many things that these care managers can assist with including:
- Discuss difficult topics and complex issues
- Make home visits and suggest needed services
- Address emotional concerns
- Make short- and long-term plans
- Evaluate in-home care needs
- Select care personnel
- Coordinate medical services
- Evaluate other living arrangements
- Provide caregiver stress relief
Finding the Right Fit
It can take some time to find a case manager who is right for your family. There are several routes that one can take in order to find the right fit. One way to look is online. https://eldercare.acl.gov is a great resource for finding case managers. It also may be beneficial to ask others you know who might have had a case manager at some point. When interviewing for the position, you should ask questions that will give you good insight on the type of care that will be provided. Some example questions you might ask are:
- Are you a licensed Geriatric Care Manager?
- How long have you been providing care management services?
- What is your comfort level with caring for patients who have dementia?
- What medical training or background do you have?
- Are you available for emergencies around the clock?
- How will you communicate information to me?
- Can you provide references?
The more questions you ask, the more information you will have. Never be afraid to ask questions when it comes to care for someone you love.
If you’re stuck and don’t know what to do, a Geriatric Care Manager can help you understand options, tradeoffs and costs. Here at Orchard at Athens, we are happy to be a part of the process. If you or someone you love are interested in finding out more about all we have to offer, contact us today.