There are a lot of communities that say they provide dementia support. Many of these communities are called Memory Care because one of the abilities that changes when someone is living with dementia is that they lose recent information and memory. But what makes a good dementia care community and what questions do you want to be sure to ask when interviewing a potential Memory Care community in Atlanta? Below are categories of questions and tips to consider when searching for a dementia care community in Atlanta.
Purpose of the Community
Here are some things to consider in regards to purpose for memory care communities:
- What is the mission of the community?
- What will I see in this community that is consistent with this mission?
- Where are the offices of the leadership and how often will I see them in the living areas when visiting the community?
Here are some things to consider in regards to staffing for memory care communities:
- What is the retention rate of staff?
- What is the ratio of staff to resident and does this exceed the state and national standard?
- What is the training for the staff and does this exceed the state and national standard?
- Is there continuing education for the staff?
- What can I expect to see from the staff when supporting my loved one?
- What qualifications do the different staff roles have and does this exceed the state standard?
- Does the staff ratio vary on different shifts?
- What does the staffing look like on weekends?
- Are there opportunities for staff to engage with families?
- Is there consistency of support from staff with the residents that is supported in their schedule and assignments?
- Does that staff do more than personal and medical care such as various types of engagement opportunities throughout the day?
- Who from the staff communicates with the family and how often?
Here are some general things to consider about memory care communities:
- What outside services are provided and is this included in our monthly fee?
- When is additional support needed?
- Who provides this support?
- What is the cost of this support?
- Is the family notified if additional support is needed?
- What is the procedure when a resident may be in need of additional support?
Engagement is an important part for dementia support, here are some things to consider when searching for a memory care community in Atlanta:
- What is the staffing that provide engagement for the residents?
- Are the families provided the schedule for the month?
- Are families encouraged to participate in celebrations and daily activities?
- Are the residents provided the opportunity to be engaged in activities that promote well-being; leisure, rest, health and wellness and productive activities?
- Does the programming reflect individual preferences, and skills?
- What is the method to discover and match these preferences and skills?
Many dementia support communities in Atlanta state that they are secure, but what does that really mean?
- What are the measures that the community has to ensure security and safety when someone is living with dementia?
- Is the community secure with locked doors that have access to the outside?
- Is there a pass code?
- Do the doors open when pressure is maintained on the door?
There are a lot of variables to consider when looking at senior living in Atlanta. Orchard at Brookhaven is an intentional community that is being developed to provide the best dementia support in Atlanta. We are also committed to being a community resource and welcome any and all inquiries for assistance and support with your search to find the community that is right for you.